Wednesday 23 January 2013

Piano

Piano - D. H. Lawrence
Softly, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me;
Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see
A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings
And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she sings.

In spite of myself, the insidious mastery of song
Betrays me back, till the heart of me weeps to belong
To the old Sunday evenings at home, with winter outside
And hymns in the cosy parlour, the tinkling piano our guide.

So now it is vain for the singer to burst into clamour
With the great black piano appassionato. The glamour
Of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast
Down in the flood of remembrance, I weep like a child for the past.

We had to look at this poem in English yesterday and I found it so beautiful and interesting. Our teacher played Clair de Lune to us while she read it and honestly, our class had never been so quiet. It's such a beautiful piece and it fits perfectly with the poem, I love them both.
I love poetry so much and I find it such a beautiful way of expressing words; if I find a poem I like I will make a note of it somewhere because then I can go back to it if I want some inspiration or want something to calm me or make me happy, there's a poem to create any emotion really!
I think Piano is such a nice and sweet but sad poem, it makes me think which is always a sign of something good. If something provokes thought then it's pretty awesome!
As a pianist myself, I find piano pieces beautiful, but this one actually gives me goosebumps. If you haven't had the chance to, listen to the link below, it's so peaceful and calm. Just sit somewhere with headphones in and shut your eyes, it's so worth it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY

If you want, tell me your favourite poems in the comments!
Jess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment