Thursday 12 September 2013

Jezebel by Irene Nemirovsky

Jezebel is one of the books I read for my English coursework over the summer and I was surprised about how much I liked it!
"In a French courtroom, the trial of a woman is taking place. Gladys Eysenach is no longer young, but she is still beautiful, elegant, cold. She is accused of shooting dead her much-younger lover. As the witnesses take the stand and the case unfolds, Gladys relives fragments of her past: her childhood, her absent father, her marriage, her turbulent relationship with her daughter, her decline, and then the final irrevocable act." 
It seems like a pretty self-explanitory blurb, but as you read it, the plot gets more complicated and you see the full extent of Gladys' obsession with her youth and beauty. It ends with such an amazing plot twist that just left me starting at the last words on the page for ages. It's written beautifully and is such a brilliant book, it's probably one of my favourites to date! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes reading, it's fantastic! I can't wait to read other books by Irene Nemirovsky and see if they're as good!
Jess xx

No comments:

Post a Comment